Technology Overload

About Me 

Hello, reader! Look at you taking time from your busy day to check my little blog out. I am a guy taking it one day at a time as I work towards my goal of becoming a high school 9th grade English teacher. As of the upload date of this post, I recently turned 29, so yes, I am a Capricorn (I still don’t know why people find this important). Please enjoy, and let me know what’s on your mind. Best, Javier.

Role of Media Technology

It must be, to some extent, apparent that technology has taken its place in our lives for the foreseeable future. Where some may find this idea gut-churning, others have found some solace in knowing technology will exist to make their efforts in living this life so much easier. More so than ever this seems to be the case in the work-from-home environment we currently find ourselves in.

Where technology has been a blessing in connecting humanity in new ways (from schooling from home to taking customer service calls in the comfort of your couch), it seems it has also created some issues as well. As teachers figure out what and how to approach this new teaching landscape, students find themselves overwhelmed with new gizmos and whirly-gigs to use in their varied classes. As teachers try to use every app and software imaginable to facilitate teaching, students continue to add to their growing lists of log-in information for the programs they are forced to use in each class. 

Perhaps it may help teachers to reconsider the new and improved Nearpod or Edpuzzle-like website and stick to something that is more commonly used in all other classes. Consolidating and narrowing the list of apps and websites students join school-wide can help relieve any added stress young English learners, for example, may experience in trying to navigate yet another website/app.

What role should media technology play in the classroom? Perhaps answering which technology should play a role in the classroom can help teachers, or student-teachers, answer this more confidently. Personally, if media technology can add to a lesson in a meaningful way to the class, then it will always be welcome in my future classes.

Comments

  1. Dear Javier,

    I just love your blog. It is very catchy and interesting! I love your humor, I think we all need all of that humor especially during these hard times! Indeed, I agree with you "It must be, to some extent, apparent that technology has taken its place in our lives for the foreseeable future." In my short/long period of life, I never thought that we were going to be relying so much in technology!

    I have seen so many changes during this past year, and yes, technology has been like a blessing when it comes to providing us with connectivity during this pandemic!

    I really like the point that you mentioned that technology must be used to make our live easier instead of harder! I believe that as educators in this new era one of our tasks must be to make online learning accessible and "DOABLE" instead of more challenging. By the way, I love Nearpod and Eddpuyzzle, they are easy to use and provide multiple ways to assees and to teach. Great post. Thank you for sharing!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Javier! I love the aesthetic of your blog, it looks so well put together. I also loved your post and thought that your perspective on technology today was interesting and funny. I agree with how you pointed out that although technology has been a blessing for us in so many ways it also created issues in regards for to learning for students.

    This past year dealing with a global pandemic has certainly been different and stressful to say the least and it has been a challenge trying to adjust to online learning. I also loved how you provided suggestions in improving our learning experience as students and ways to help us adjust to this new reality. I too have struggled with getting used to using different apps and websites for classes, so having one universal platform would definitely make learning easier.

    Overall, your post was very insightful and I really enjoyed reading. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and also happy belated birthday, hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Javier, I agree with so much in your post and also love your blog. I think that this topic is going to be apart of our lives as teachers regardless of if we like or not. It's difficult to approach, that is the undeniable truth. How do we push students to look and listen while also having access to a screen of everything else in the world.

    This pandemic has shown us many issues within our system of education. Technology and the use of technology in and around the classroom is a big one. The hope is that with all this blaring issues, we will be able to work together to gather our resources and fix some of these issues.

    I think you have a great idea of look at new and improved apps and websites that are at our disposal. As well as getting on the same page school wide.

    Thank you for your thoughts !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment